London is one of the world’s greatest cosmopolitan cities. As the capital, it is the political, economic and cultural epicentre of the United Kingdom and it plays a major part on both the European and global stages. Visitors will find London to be hugely diverse in ethnicity, history, attractions and entertainment. There’s also a fabulously vibrant food scene.
London is the largest and most populous city in Europe. With 14 million residents and around 30 million visitors every year it is extremely busy all year round. With so much to see and do, an itinerary is the best way to make sure you get the most out of your time. And to really maximise the experience, your itinerary should begin with London City Airport taxi.
You can pack your itinerary with loads of attractions and entertainment because it is easy to get to and from the airport and around London. You have the choice of overland trains and the Tube (underground), as well as the trademark black taxi cab and the iconic red double-decker buses. Many of the attractions in the historic centre and the royal sights are within walking distance of each other.
Any time of year is good to visit this energetic and fascinating city even if the weather isn’t always the best. Just remember to always carry an umbrella.
What to see in London
- Houses of Parliament and Big Ben: The Palace of Westminster is a masterpiece of gothic architecture with the famous old bell, Big Ben housed in the Queen Elizabeth II tower.
- Buckingham Palace: Open to the public in summer, the home of the English royal family sits at the end of The Mall in 20 hectares of gardens. A daily event is the Changing of the Guard.
- The Shard and/or London Eye: Both offer the most spectacular views across London. The Shard is Europe’s 7th tallest building and the London Eye on the South Bank is one of the city’s most popular attractions.
London City Airport
London City Airport is located in the heart of Docklands in East London. Its location close to the commercial hub of Canary Wharf (3 miles (4.8 km) to the east) as well as its nearness to the City of London (6 miles (9.7 km) east) makes it more popular with business than leisure travellers.
There is only one terminal and one runway but the airport handles more than 5 million passengers every year (pre-Covid Pandemic). All destinations are in Europe with routes serviced by British Airways, KLM and Lufthansa among other major European carriers. The airport is small and compact but the terminal has the main passenger services including food and drink, shopping, bureau de change and car rental.
As well as plenty of London City Airport taxi services, the airport is connected to the City and Greater London by road, rail, Docklands light railway (DLR), local buses and river boat (Thames Clippers). The A13 is in close proximity and with this road’s direct connection to the M25, there is easy access to destinations outside of London.
Approximate Taxi cost from London City Airport
|London City Airport Taxi||1-5 people||6-8 people|
|London City Airport – Canary Wharf||from 40€||from 50€|
|London City Airport – Ludgate Hill (St. Paul’s)||from 80€||from 120€|
|London City Airport – Victoria Train Station||from 115€||from 155€|
Distances between London City Airport and some points of interest
- London City Airport – Westminster Abbey: the distance between these two places is 15 km, for which it takes 40 minutes (without traffic).
- London City Airport - St. Paul’s Cathedral: the distance is 13 km and without traffic, takes about 35 minutes.
- London City Airport – Marble Arch: the distance to the starting point of Oxford Street is 17 km and takes about 1 hour.
- London City Airport – Harrods: to reach the world-famous store in Knightsbridge it takes 55 minutes covering a distance 17 km.
- London City Airport – The Shard: this distance is 12 km and can be driven in around 30 minutes.
Transport to London from London City Airport
There are various ways to reach destinations within London and beyond from London City Airport.
- Docklands Light Railway: The DLR station is the main transport connection at the airport. The line links the airport to Canary Wharf and the City of London. It also connects to Woolwich Arsenal and Stratford International stations and from here there are connections with the Tube (London Underground) and various overground lines through and across the city and beyond.
- Road Access: The main road connecting the airport to the City are the A1020 and A112. These connect to the major routes of the A406 which connects to the M11 and the A13 which connects to the M25.
- Bus Services:Local bus services run from the airport to Stratford and Canning Town.
- Riverboat: Operated by Thames Clippers, boats leave from Royal Wharf and travel to London Bridge City Pier. The wharf is 1500 m (20 minute walk) from the airport and can be reached on foot, by DLR or in a taxi.
- Private taxi: A London City Airport taxi is not only a great option for transfer to and from your accommodation, it can also be used to take you to business appointments or to other transport hubs, such as railway stations.
Visitors who are staying in London for more than a day are advised to get an Oyster Card. The card can be used on every part of the public transport network in London.
For a complete overview of London’s public transport system and its schedules, visit the Transport for London official website.
Taxileader.net service at London City Airport
There are some great benefits to using Taxileader for London City Airport transfer. It is easy, convenient and economical.
- Booking is easy: You book Taxileader online. After you have selected your route and accepted the quote, you receive a confirmation email as well as a contact number for use in emergencies.
- Fixed price: Unlike a cab hailed outside the airport, with Taxileader you know the cost in advance and the price does not change from the confirmed quote.
- Unshared vehicles: Taxileader vehicles are for the passengers stated in the reservation. We do not request you share the vehicle with other bookings.
- Choice of vehicles: The Taxileader fleet includes saloon taxis, limousines and minibuses.
- Car seats: Seats suitable for various ages are free on request.
- Easy access: The driver will meet you at the pickup point and will wait in the event of a flight delay.
- Excellent customer service: Our drivers are fully trained, professional courteous and helpful.