The beautiful city of Barcelona, capital of the autonomous region of Catalonia, is Spain’s second largest city after the capital, Madrid, and presents itself as colourful, lively and cosmopolitan. Anyone travelling to visit this city will find everything they could possibly want: beaches, loads of museums, breathtaking buildings and lots of nightlife! We firmly believe that it is absolutely impossible to even think of “doing” the whole city in just a weekend as there are so many magical places to see in this city: the wonderful buildings designed by the architect, Antoni Gaudí, las Ramblas, the parks and let’s not forget about the many delights outside the city centre. The airport that serves the Catalan capital is located in El Prat de Llobregat which is about 12 kilometres from the city centre. This airport is well connected to Barcelona via various different modes of transport such as the Aerobus which will take you to the very heart of the city, the Plaza de Catalunya, the RENFE train service and the underground lines. There are plenty of public taxis in the city and it is usually easy to find one that will take you around the city centre with ease. However, for those who arrive at the airport and need to get to their destination quickly, the best option is: a private transfer service in a car that is driven by a highly qualified driver with a regular licence for this type of service.
When talking about a taxi in Barcelona Airport you can easily mistake El prat Airport with Barcelona Airport in Girona.
The taxi service in El Prat Airport is a classic private service transfer to reach the centre of Barcelona. It takes 20-30 minutes to get to the centre; depending on traffic, day and time of the day of course. This is an ideal transfer service for those travellers who do not know about distance from the Airport to the city.
For information purposes, we have provided below, the distances and corresponding journey times from El Prat to some of the places that are worth visiting:
- Barcelona El Prat Airport - Plaza de Catalunya: by using the C-31, you can reach the geographical centre of Barcelona in just 25 minutes with this being the quickest route into the city.
- Barcelona El Prat Airport - Camp Nou: if you’re coming to watch an exciting football match and need to cover the 14 kilometres between these two locations, our recommendation would be to take the C-31 which will enable you to reach your destination in about 20 minutes;
- Barcelona El Prat Airport – Montserrat Abbey: the monastery and the fabulous scenery that surrounds it is some 63 kilometres from the airport which should take about 1 hour to reach.
For those less attentive travellers this situation may change considerably when travelling to and from Girona-Barcelona Airport.
Often people confuse Girona for a district or area near Barcelona. It is typical with all low cost airlines, when choosing the destination, there is the questionable option of “Girona- Barcelona” which for those who are not well informed would suggest that the two locations are near each other. Not at all! In fact, there is a distance of 90 kilometres. For any tourist this could be considered a much negative point, given that the journey from Girona Airport to the centre of Barcelona by public transport can take up to 80 minutes. Plus the unpleasant surprise of paying extras.
Girona Airport which is situated about 20 minutes away from the city centre, is used not only for charter flights but also because it is not far from the famous Costa Brava which is visited every year by thousands of holiday-makers who have chosen this destination for its sandy beaches and beautiful bays.
Here are the main distances between Girona Airport-Costa Brava and the surrounding areas:
- Girona Airport - Barcelona: to cover the not inconsiderable distance of 92 kilometres takes an hour and 18 minutes using the AP-7, otherwise known as “the Mediterranean Motorway,” a road that winds along the entire Mediterranean coast of Spain.
For those who arrive in Barcelona wanting to know about the city’s transport systems in detail, we recommend that you visit the web site: https://www.tmb.cat/es, in which, you will be able to find plenty of information about the different means of transport in the Catalan capital. Transport fees can be more convenient when travelling in a private taxi with a minimum of 3 people, especially when considering all the benefits that are mentioned below:
- A driver will collect you from the Airport Arrivals with a sign with your name on it.
- It is not necessary to change different modes of public transport in order to get to your destination.
- The total cost of the transfer is given in advance.
- Subsequent time will be saved.
- Taxi or minivan will not be shared with others.
To save money, many travellers use of public transport to get to their destination in the capital, but on affronting the numerous changes of required, it seems that they move further and further away from their intended destination. Those travellers who venture into cities that they have not visited previously, tend to loose time and then upon realising they have not reached their destination need the taxi service to get to their accomodation.