London is the capital and most populous city of the United Kingdom. One of the most important cities in world affairs and on the global stage, London represents the whole history, economy and culture of the UK. 30 million people visit Europe’s largest city every year for business and leisure, swelling the existent population of 14 million.
London is magnificent. As well as its historical heritage that dates back to the Ancient Romans, it is a model of modern diversity. A hugely eclectic mix of ethnicity and cultures gives the city a uniquely interesting cosmopolitan flavour and an atmosphere that needs to be experienced to be understood. It is where the pomp and pageantry of royalty rubs shoulders with the Notting Hill Carnival, a huge celebration of West Indian culture. This melting pot idea extends across food, entertainment and attractions.
When landing at the airport, it is important to know how to get from Southend to London. When you book your London Southend Airport taxi, you begin a journey into the realm of some of the world’s most famous landmarks. Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge and the Shard are instantly recognisable as are the red double-decker buses and black cabs.
Any time of year is good to visit London. There’s always something happening. There’s no guarantee the weather will be good but it won’t dampen your enthusiasm for the city on the Thames.
What to see in London
- Buckingham Palace: Sitting in 20 hectares of cultivated gardens, the official home of the UK’s monarch opens in the summer for visitors to look around. The daily changing of the guard is a favourite tourist sight.
- Big Ben: so often mistaken as being the famous clock tower, Big Ben is actually the bell that chimes across the city. The tower is named for the late Queen Elizabeth II and is attached to the Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament).
- St. Paul’s Cathedral: Sir Christopher Wren’s iconic dome of the cathedral on the top of Ludgate Hill is visible throughout the City of London. The huge church is famous for its whispering gallery and poets corner.
- Tower Bridge: with its fantastic views of the Thames, the Tower of London and the city skyline, the famous opening bridge is a must-visit for its photo opportunities.
London Southend Airport
The least busy of London’s six airports, Southend Airport is 58 km (36 miles) due east from central London in the coastal town of Southend on Sea in the county of Essex. Serving many European cities, the airport is used by leisure and business travellers.
There’s just one runway and terminal at London Southend airport. Two airlines operate from the airport, easyJet and Thomson (and First Choice holidays) to countries including France, Spain, The Netherlands, Malta and Italy. Passenger numbers pre-Covid pandemic were 400,000+ annually.
Southend Airport underwent development and improvements to handle increased traffic for the 2012 London Olympics so there are good facilities in the terminal building and beyond. Passengers and visitors will find car hire desks, retail stores, food and drink outlets, free WiFi, currency exchanges, cashpoints and an on-site hotel (Holiday Inn) among others. The drop-off and pick-up points are prominent so it’s easy to reach your London Southend Airport taxi.
Approximate Taxi cost from London Southend Airport
|London Southend Airport||1-5 people||6-8 people|
|London Southend Airport – Lombard Street||from £165;||from £205;|
|London Southend Airport – Canary Wharf||from £160;||from £200;|
|London Southend Airport – Hyde Park Corner||from £165;||from £208;|
Distances between London Southend Airport and some points of interest
- Southend Airport – Westminster Abbey: the driving distance between these two places is 68 km and takes 1.5 hours (without traffic).
- Southend Airport – Canada Square, Canary Wharf: it takes about 1 hour to drive the 58 kms in steady traffic.
- Southend Airport – Lombard Street: to reach the heart of the City of London 66 km away takes roughly 1 hour 25 minutes.
- Southend Airport – Marble Arch: the beginning of Oxford Street – London’s shopping Mecca - is a distance of 70 km and takes 1 hour 45 minutes by car.
- Southend Airport – Trafalgar Square: the distance to the square with the iconic Nelson’s Column and National Gallery is 67 km and travel takes about 1.5 hours.
Transport to London from London Southend Airport
You can reach central London in around an hour from Southend Airport by various modes of transport:
- Overland train - the railway station is 100 steps from the airport and has six services per hour in peak travel time. The destination is Liverpool Street Station which has connections to the main underground lines and other mainline stations.
- Bus - Bus stops are a short walk from the terminal building with local and regional buses running into London, Chelmsford and other towns in Essex.
- Road access - the main roads connecting the airport and Greater and Central London are the A12 and A13.
- Car Hire - hire cars can be booked at the airport or picked up after being booked online.
- Taxi - licensed taxis are available at the airport but it is better for a number of reasons to prebook a private Southend Airport taxi transfer.
Travel information can be found on the airport website which will direct you to individual service providers’ websites. London transport information can be found at Transport for London’s official website.
Taxileader.net service at London Southend Airport
There are numerous advantages to booking a private taxi from Southend Airport with Taxileader.net.
- Price is fixed at the time of booking with no additional charges even if flights are delayed or diversions need to be taken.
- Luggage is accounted for and free child seats are available on request.
- Vehicles are well-maintained and comfortable and exclusively for use of the booking party.
How the Southend Airport fixed price taxi service works:
Booking a Taxileader service is all done online. The service is available 24 hours a day and it is advisable to book as far in advance as possible although urgent requests may be able to be accommodated.
The online booking form will ask for time and date you require to be picked up and you will be quoted a fixed rate based on distance.
A small deposit is payable in advance to confirm your booking and the balance is payable to the driver in cash at the end of your journey.
You will receive an email to confirm your booking. Should there be any queries before or after your booking, there is a multilingual customer service team.
The journey time from Southend Airport into London is approximately 1 – 1.5 hours depending on your destination.
Why Choose London Southend Airport?
Southend is smaller than the huge airports at Heathrow and Gatwick but offers a good range of European destinations. It is particularly advantageous if you have meetings in the east of London. The financial and commercial districts of Canary Wharf and the City are in the east. It is also a reasonable travel time to West London.