For those arriving in Sicily who want to start off their stay in the capital, the safest and cheapest option is to book the service Palermo Airport Taxi. This city is a real jewel with its varied architectural styles, the result having been conquered at various times by Arabs, Normans, Spaniards, and Swabians and accordingly, its history makes it a popular destination for tourists. The Palermo metropolitan area has about 1 million inhabitants and the city is the seat of the Sicilian Regional Assembly, the oldest active parliament in the world.
Palermo does not attract visitors only for its artistic and architectural beauties, but also for its marvelous surroundings. There’s Cefalù, "the pearl of the Tyrrhenian Sea", with its crystalline waters and the famous medieval Arab-Norman-style cathedral, and Mondello, the exclusive seaside area of Palermo situated between Monte Pellegrino and Monte Gallo.
What to see in Palermo
Among the things to see in the city, the following attractions are undoubtedly worth a visit:
- Cathedral: where the ashes of Roger II and Frederick II of Swabia lie, both kings of Sicily.
- Palermo local markets: most of all Ballarò and the Vucciria, with their mixture of voices, smells and colours.
- The Palatine Chapel: defined by the French writer Guy de Maupassant as "The most beautiful church in the world," it is a basilica located within the complex of the Palazzo dei Normanni, prized by the city and the whole island for its artistic and historical value.
Also, you cannot leave the Sicilian capital without having tried its gastronomic delicacies: pasta alla Norma, cannoli, cassata, arancini (rice balls), and many other specialities.
Palermo airport was originally called Punta Raisi, then changed its name to Falcone - Borsellino, in memory of the two judges killed by the mafia in 1993. It is situated about 33 km from the city centre, in Punta Raisi. It has a passenger traffic of about 5 million people a year and has one passenger terminal.
Among the services offered by the Falcone - Borsellino airport there are free and unlimited Wi-Fi, various refreshment points, duty free shops, and ATMs.
To get to the centre of Palermo, there are various options including bus and public taxi.
The bus service from the airport is offered by the company Prestia and Comandè and the terminal is the central station. The bus service does not guarantee maximum comfort and does not take you directly to your accommodation. At peak times, you run the risk of not even being able board a bus, due to overcrowding.
For those who need to get straight to the city and have no problem travelling with strangers, in Palermo you can travel from the airport by sharing a taxi. Although it appears to save money and taxi drivers to save time, it has the disadvantages of not being private and sometimes having to wait for long periods for a taxi.
Approximate Taxi cost from Palermo airport
|Palermo airport - Cathedral
|Palermo airport - Palatine Chapel
Distances between Palermo Airport and some points of interest
- Palermo airport - Cathedral: to reach the symbol of the Sicilian capital it takes 45 minutes (in light traffic) along the fastest route, the E90.
- Palermo airport - Vucciria: to experience fully the popular atmosphere of a Palermo market take the A29 motorway to cover the 33 km distance.
- Palermo airport - Palatine Chapel: the distance is 30 km and the journey takes about 37 minutes.
The public transport network in Palermo is not really a model of efficiency but tourists can easily walk around the marvellous old town. For longer journeys, the transport is entirely managed by AMAT company, and includes 90 bus lines operating from 4am to midnight.
The Palermo underground is managed by Trenitalia and connects the Sicilian capital to its airport rather than the surrounding area. Public taxis can be booked by phone or by going to various taxi ranks scattered throughout the city. They are all white with the word "Taxi" on the roof of the car.
For those who want to relish the Sicilian atmosphere and avoid the boring wait at the airport, consider booking a private taxi transfer to Palermo. It’s the best way to get to the city from the airport.
Taxileader.net service at Palermo Airport
The benefits of a transfer by private car are various including travelling in a vehicle not shared with strangers, but only with the people of your group and knowing the total cost of your journey. To book this service, you just have to fill out the form on our website and a qualified, licensed driver will wait at the exit of the terminal, holding a sign bearing the name entered on reservation form. Customer service in Italian, English and Spanish is available to customers in order to solve any problems and clear up any doubts.
Why Choose Taxileader.net?
Here are the reasons to book a private taxi from Palermo airport:
- The cost is known in advance and remains fixed.
- A designated driver waiting for you.
- No hassle or stress of moving luggage on and off public transport.
- No surcharge in case of flight delay.
- Maximum support from our customer service.
Fill out the form on this page to book yourself a taxi in Palermo
As you can see, everything about the transfer is simple and straightforward. You won't need to carry your luggage around whilst on public transport, you won't have to pay extra fees in case your flight is late or if you land at night, and moreover, you can count on our customer service at any time.